Monday, December 18, 2006

George's Pond; Created In The Beloved Tradition of Charlotte's Web.


Well sometimes I doubted that it would ever happen, but here it is, the release of my first novel. It's called 'Georges Pond; Created in the Beloved Tradition of Charlottes Web.' I studied the book Charlottes Web for more than ten years and I even used it to teach 3-6th grade students in Taiwan to learn English.

This novel comes from my experience of living in Sutherlin Oregon when I was in 5th grade. George (the turtle) and Nadia (baby squirrel) were both real animals that I rescued in back of my farm. Most the descriptions in my book about the places and animals were true. Friendly was the name of my dog back then. He was fun loving and crazy hairball that enjoyed exploring the back 7 acres of untaimed land.

So as you can see now, the story I wrote is based upon my true experiences as a boy long ago, but I added in a twist, a fantasy that I also really had as a boy. The animals can talk, their are numerous secret places to be discoverd, all are real, except the cave. The secret pond was a real place I used to go to be alone and think with my dog Friendly. It really exists and is hidden from the world by walls of thorny tall blackberry bushes. All in all, I wrote the fantasy I had as a boy and now in its novel form, I share it with you.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and if by chance you are ever find yourself driving down old highway 99 through Sutherlin Oregon, stop and see the two story farmhouse I wrote about and the land behind it. Its right across the street from "Hall's Market" and sits all alone out there. Im afraid the tree was trimmed down, so the treehouse is gone, but the stable and chicken coop are still there behind the house, the train bridge and the secret pond and creek are still there too. If you find the secret pond, just maybe, if you are lucky, you may see a turtle sitting on a floating log with a diamond pattern on its back. Do me a favor will ya? Tell him Scott says hey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter